How you can help.
You can help support the FIRST WORDS Project.
Through our research findings and resources provided on our website, we aim to improve screening tools and early detection of communication problems by maximizing the role of the family and to help families support their child’s development and access intervention services sooner.
FIRST WORDS® Project has received funding from the following agencies or individuals:
- National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Mental Health
- National Institutes of Health, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- National Institutes of Health, Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- U.S. Department of Eduction, Institute of Education Sciences
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- State of Florida Legislature
- Jessie Ball duPont Fund, Jacksonville, Florida
- Phillips Endowment
- Todd and Annie Trimmer
- Delta Airlines
FIRST WORDS® Project Faculty and Staff:
Amy M. Wetherby, PhD, CCC-SLP, Director
Amy M. Wetherby is a Distinguished Research Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences, Director of the Autism Institute in the Florida State University College of Medicine, and the Laurel Schendel Professor of Communication Disorders in the Florida State University College of Communication and Information.
Charly Nottke, M.S., Assistant Director
Charly Nottke is the Assistant Director of Early Detection and Prevention Research and lead Clinical Research Diagnostician for the First Words Project in the Autism Institute at the Florida State University College of Medicine.
Renee Daly Holland, M.S., CCC-SLP, Assistant Director
Renee Daly Holland is the Assistant Director of Early Intervention Services Research and the lead Intervention Coordinator for the Early Social Interaction Project in the Autism Institute at the Florida State University College of Medicine.
Laura Newton, Project Coordinator
- Kaitlin Alfermann, MS, CCC-SLP, Speech Language Pathologist
- Therese Kemper, PhD, Clinical Psychologist and Diagnostic Coordinator
- Joy Moore, MS, CCC-SLP Clinical Research Diagnostician
- Kathryn Myers MSW, Clinical Research Diagnostician
- Alicia Nohle, LCSW, Clinical Research Diagnostician
- Vickie Peace, BS, Early Childhood Specialist
- Kristen Seaquist, MS, CCC-SLP Speech Language Pathologist
Current and Former Doctoral Students
- Taylor Day, 2014-current
- Abigail Delehanty, MA, CCC-SLP 2014-current
- Deanna Dow, MS, 2011-current
- Whitney Guthrie MS, 2010-current
- Vanessa Reinhardt MS, 2009-current
- Janine Bartley, PhD, Graduated December, 2013
- Nicole Sparapani, PhD, Graduated December, 2013
- Sheri Stronach, PhD, Graduated August, 2013
- David McCoy, PhD, Graduated August, 2013
- Laurie Swineford,PhD, Graduated December, 2011
- Allison Plumb,PhD, Graduated December, 2008
- Angie Barber, PhD, Graduated August, 2008
- Stacy Shumway, PhD, Graduated August, 2006
- Nola Watt, PhD Graduated April, 2006
- Julie Cleary, PhD Graduated April, 2002
How you can help.